In 1947 at the inception of the NHS, Dr E W Bedford-Turner started one of the first NHS practices in this area. Apparently at the time there was some ill-feeling amongst the majority of Eastbourne doctors who were quite happy in private practice. At the time the practice premises were at 47 Eastbourne Road, Willingdon, however, in 1951 it moved to Lister House, also in Eastbourne Road.
In 1970 Dr Bedford-Turner was joined in the practice by his son, Christopher and during 1970 they opened the branch surgery at the Triangle, Lower Willingdon. In 1973 the practice moved to 34 High Street, Polegate before the final move to the current premises at 77 High Street. This had previously been the local Co-op store and was converted for use as a surgery providing easy access for the disabled and elderly, being all at ground level.
The practice list size grew quite rapidly and additional partners were taken on to meet the demand. There are now five doctors and a practice list of approximately 10,900 patients. In Autumn of 1989 major refurbishment of the practice commenced and was completed in April 1990 along with installation of computer terminals. The partners feel the present list size is at a maximum and hope to concentrate their services on the Polegate and Willingdon areas.